this detailed replica of the second Roanoke River Lighthouse--one of
three important light stations on the Roanoke River from 1810 to the
1950s. The original was built in 1866 and fell victim to an ice
storm that froze the Albemarle Sound and cut two of its pilings.
Lighthouse exhibits paint a picture of this once-bustling port town.
It's not hard to imagine the schooners, steamboats, and barges that
were so familiar at the customs house. Climb the spiral
staircase and look out toward the end of this mighty river, where a
lonely keeper was isolated for days or weeks with only his chickens
and goats on the lower deck.
Visit the Roanoke River Maritime Museum, just across the street, and
enjoy the old
photographs and stories of the fishermen,
farmers, foresters, merchants, soldiers, papermakers…and
most of the people who lived here or passed through this place and
neighboring river towns like Jamesville, Roper and Creswell.
An aquarium of native fish, exhibits of underwater archeological
explorations, early boatbuilding and more bring the story to life.
Today, the Roanoke River Lighthouse is establishing a new
significance as a visitors attraction and Gateway to the Outer Banks
Lighthouses, a gathering place for Plymouth’s annual Wood Boat Show,
the popular Cowboys on the Water, and other events.